Sunday, September 4, 2011

Food Food Everywhere and Not a Bite to Eat



  Most of Saturday was spent at our family reunion. Five of my grandmothers’ siblings and their families descended on the tiny town of Monteagle, Tennessee for an afternoon of hugging, laughing, eating and me thinking, “Who are these people?”  There were many that I knew because (all be it sporadic) we do see each other from time to time.  Then there was this whole group that I hadn’t seen in 35 or more years! And they brought children and grandchildren that I didn’t even know existed.  Even with name tags stuck to everyone, I still had to dig deep into the recesses of my mind for even the faintest glimmer of remembrance!  That trip into my memory was like digging through one of those homes you see on an episode of “Hoarders”!   It was kind of scary in there.  

  The main source of entertainment at any social event (for me anyway) is the FOOD. Otherwise, I may resort to playing with my IPhone or just disappear outside. I am not naturally a social person. I can just hear some of you laughing right now.  Let me just say that I do a top notch job of hiding this little tidbit about myself.  In fact, I would say that I have elevated this to an  art form.  

  Finally the time arrived, and with plate in hand, I began the ritualistic trip around the kitchen. Had I the mental fortitude to bring something I could eat (the list)?  No.   I brought what I bring to everything…..mac and cheese. This isn’t just any mac and cheese. It’s made with real butter (not margarine), heavy whipping cream, eggs and about 40 pounds of cheese. Oh yeah, there are noodles in there somewhere. So that was out. I still can’t believe I didn’t eat it.  I began to look around, and everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, was a food not on the list! I should have started praying right then and there.

  I decided not to venture too deep into the kitchen, as it seemed the further in I got, the more naughty the food became.  So I stopped on the edge of this madness and had a spoonful of each of the following: coleslaw, pea salad and ramen noodle salad. I have no idea how you turn a bag of ramen noodles into a cold salad, and frankly I don’t want to know.  However, all three of these tasty little side items were delicious!  I even managed to only eat a two inch square of cake for dessert.   I was feeling pretty good about myself. 

   We visited for a few of more hours where I endured a snide comment or two and a nasty look from a girl who I still haven’t been able to identify. Not the sort of thing that makes you want to go to the next reunion (if, in fact there ever is one).  Then we (my children and parents) went for a quick tour of Sewanee and a quick stop to eat supper.   None of us were terribly hungry, but there is a really great Italian eatery that we just couldn’t pass up. I knew I didn’t need to eat another bite of anything, but anytime I see bruschetta on a menu, I just about lose my mind!  I love it so much!  I had a feeling it would be fantastic at this“happening” little joint and I wasn’t disappointed. The balsamic reduction sauce alone would make me want to make the drive again!  Happily, I didn’t finish it!  I have found that if I’m pretty sure I want to finish something because it is so tasty; I share it with others at the table.  That is a sure fire way to get rid of a plate of food you don’t need.  And your friends and family love you!  Win, win.

  All in all it was a good day! Having family around me always feels good. Especially if they bring food.

2 comments:

  1. allison i love love love you.. i was so sad not to have you at our party on friday night.. i was looking forward to you and a grass skirt.. i love you! you are the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn, I love, love, love you too!!!!! I so wish I could have been there! Can't wait to see you Tuesday evening!

    ReplyDelete