Saturday, September 24, 2011

Touch Downs, Tacos and Tiaras

   Friday night lights!!!!  Football in the south is BIG!!! Pretty much everyone I know is a football fan on some level (whether they admit to it or not). I am no exception.  My husband and I are season ticket holding Vols fans!  You might think we don’t miss a game. You would be dreadfully wrong.   I haven’t been to a game in over 6 years! The last time Jim went was at least a year ago, and that was only because our youngest child that wanted to go wasn’t old enough to drive himself! But high school football is a different colored horse all together.  We don’t always make the games, but we listen on the radio and stay up late to watch the side line wrap ups on the local news.   It’s what makes autumn so fantastic!  Aahhh, the sound of crunching leaves underfoot and the pop of football helmets colliding! It’s the best!

   Last night was the homecoming game at our sons’ high school and the only reason I went was because the daughter of our dear friends would be part of the homecoming court.  Her mom looked at me and said “You gave up “Mexican” for Kaley?  Wow, that really put it into perspective for me. Even my friends know how devoted I am to my Friday night fiesta!  The look on her face was almost shock and awe.
 
   All the festivities took place before the game began, so it didn’t take me long to start thinking about quesadillas, tacos, and crack coated tortilla chips!  The whining started somewhere around the beginning of the second quarter.  It started out harmless enough, but quickly turned ugly.   Our friends suggested we all get something to eat after the game. WHAAAATTT!?  The game hadn’t started until 8PM and we all know how they can drag on and on!  Panic set in.  I started the mental math game. You know what I mean. You start adding it up in your head.  The actual time of each quarter, plus half time, plus time outs, plus all the other nine million reasons they stop a football game and that equals only one thing.  All the good restaurants are CLOSED!!!!! 

   I suggested we leave at half time since it would be really late when it was over and besides, it’s starting to get cold (anything to gather the troops around me).  At first it worked.  Then the ball game started to get exciting.  Even if you are completely disinterested and you aren’t even paying attention to the game, you know when this happens…..EVERYONE STANDS UP.  Oh no!!!!  My dreams of warm chips started to slip through my fingers.  So I turned up the whining (mostly directed at my husband).  Over and over I repeated the same phrase. “I’m just soooo hungry!” 
 
   My friend Tammy just laughed at me (she was cold and my whining was only helping her in getting out of there quicker).  The guys tried be nice about it, but finally gave in. They really should have tried harder, because by the time we were done eating, I was so full, I felt like a tick about to pop, and I began blaming them for ever agreeing to this venture in the first place. Philip looked at me like he wanted me dead.  Jim just looked at the floor and shook his head.  The folks around me are too nice to me. I need a personal handler and someone in my life needs to step up to the plate! Don’t let me get my way! 

Just look at how happy I am!!!!
    All of this power play and homecoming tiaras got me to thinking about a conversation that took place this week with some co-workers.   I’m not sure how it all began, but somehow the subject of tiaras came up.  I stated that I love tiaras and I think it would be awesome to wear one to work at least once a week.   I don’t want one of those small classy numbers like Miss America wears. No, I want one of those huge, dreadfully heavy numbers like you see on the cable show “Toddlers and Tiaras”!  That would be the best!  TACKY!!!  One of my work pals said of my tiara wearing suggestion, “Oh no! You are already on a power trip and that would just push you right over the edge!” Excuse me?  Off with your head!!!!

   Imagine how much better Mondays would be if you could do it in a tiara? It just feels right, doesn’t it?
Don’t answer that please. Just let me have my moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment