Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Value Meal Values

   Is there any true value in value menus?  According to dictionary.com –Value- The worth of something in terms of the amount of other things for which it can be exchanged or in terms of some medium of exchange.  Based on this assessment of the word, I believe we can safely assume that we should be able to place some sort of real worth on the food items on these menus.  I know the worth in it is the cheapness of the price, but wouldn't it be just grand if they had some nutritional value as well?  Wouldn't that be fantastic!?  The reality of this idea is a stretch at best. To date, the only food I have found that is nutritionally sound and low in calories is the small chili at Wendy’s. It is low in fat and calories (210); it has 17 grams of protein and is high on my tasty scale! You can get a side salad if you like, but don't dare put the dressing on it or you will go from 210 calories to 500! 

    In our fast paced and busy lives we sometimes need these quick, yet cost effective options. But I have to admit that when I pull up to that menu, I am not focused on the nutritional end of the spectrum. I am thinking about a single burger with everything and a big ole sleeve of fries! YUM! I would also love to take a frosty for a spin around the block whilst I'm at it. But we all know that is A) not on the list and B) so high in fat and calories that if I did eat it, the next thing I would be hearing is, "CLEAR!" Ok, that may be over the top, but I'm sure you're picking up what I'm laying down.  
  
   I've been practicing being grateful this week, so I will be grateful and say that I am just happy there is something on that value menu that won't kick me to the curb. Yes, I wanted the burgers and fries and I guess I always will want them. But, I must come to terms with living healthy every day, and being grateful that I have the option of being in a position to live healthy.  Because we all know eating healthy can be expensive! But with some excellent planning and savvy shopping, it can be done!

   Speaking of being grateful…I want to take a moment to say to all of you who are reading my blog “Thanks!”  I know you have plenty of other things you could be doing (like lying on the couch staring at the ceiling)!  So I am grateful for each of you! If you have something you want to share with me or a subject you would like me to talk about, just let me know! I love feed back :-)

      I would also like to mention that as far as the life style change is going, I’m happy to report that I have lost 12 pounds and made some really great strides in my relationship with food!   As I enter week 5 of this adventure I’m grateful that God is showing me so much about myself and even more grateful about what else He will reveal! Most of it is not so nice things, but it is all for the greater good, and for that, I am….what’s that word?  Oh yes, GRATEFUL!

No comments:

Post a Comment