Tuesday, September 6, 2011

A Tale of Two Tilapias

  
   I love to cook like no body's business! But as you may have guessed, there is very little that I cook that is on "The List". So painfully I have attempted to come up with dishes composed of allowed foods that are tasty, and actually resemble something that a human would consume. Truthfully, I have had very little luck.

   I spent about 30 minutes one afternoon talking to a couple of ChristWay students that had dropped by my office to chat. During our conversation they ask to see the list. I was happy to oblige, as any suggestions they might have would be highly welcomed. They had some really great ideas! But this conversation took place during the first week of the list and I was really too busy wallowing in self-pity to be bothered with any idea that took more than five minutes effort. So I am just now starting to seriously consider their "think tank madness".

   One of the food items they pointed out was the tilapia. The problem with this food is; I only eat fish at restaurants.  I have this hang up about fish. I just can't stand the sight of it raw. Let me jump in here for a second and say that I love sushi! For some reason raw fish wrapped up in rice and seaweed is very appealing! But throwing a slab of it in front of me and asking me to cook it, will just about suck the Jesus right out of me.  I just couldn't do it!  

   After much wringing of my hands, I decided to give it a try. I had no idea what to do with fish!  I went to the grocery store and perused the isles for some hint of what one does with (gulp) fish.  While standing in the baking section of the store I noticed this nifty little product call "fish fry". Really? Could it be this simple? Had I been avoiding cooking fish for twenty years, when all I needed was this two dollar bag of corn meal concoction? 

   I decided that I would grill my fish and fry the rest of it for the family (I knew my hubby would have no interest in grilled fish). The grilled fish was quite good, but the fried fish was AMAZING!!  Well, now I'm just really mad. I can't have the fried fish! It's not on the bloody list!!! I just can't win. I have wasted a great deal of time over the past week or so just thinking about that delicious fish and how I have missed out on eating it for at least two decades. It has over taken my thoughts both day and night. I can't escape its pull! I may need professional help. I'm not kidding.
 
  I think I'm going to fry up some this week and just have a small serving. I would rather have a little bit of something I love, than a plate full of something that bores me to tears. So I am going to declare that Wednesday will be “Fish Fry Day”! Yippee!  I’m so excited! I don’t think I’ll sleep tonight!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment